SEARCH THIS BLOG.

Subscribe to my World News Updates

Translate

MY MUSIC CELEBRITY PHOTO ALBUM

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

#HIPHOSSIP5: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH NIGERIAN MEGAPRODUCER DON JAZZY.

Don Jazzy: Credits to Photographer: Moussa Moussa, courtesy TWMagazine.net



While I was in Canada, I called Don Jazzy aka Michael Collins. It was NOT planned. I have been fascinated with him and his work for so long and after the D’Banj Mo Hits break up, so much drama has been spewed online that as a Journalist, I had to go to the source. I asked him about teamwork which he called a “beautiful thing when you put heads together” you can achieve more. He spoke about his partnerships and running Mavin records and the artists. Talking about all the Mavin artists, Tiwa savage, Wande Coal, D’Prince and he described Tiwa Savage as the “perfect girl” when it comes to a female artist. He started liking music from his dad and mom who were into music, church music and more.

We spoke about the Mavin records team of artists. One of them is his younger brother. He plays drums, keyboards and other instruments. I had no idea he was an artist as I have always known him as a Producer. We then started talking about Kanye West who he says he is signed with on a Producer contract. I asked him if he regrets parting ways with D’Banj, he said no and that everyone is doing well.

We talked about I-Tunes and the future of music with no more CD's. He spoke about that not happening any soon in Nigeria. People still want their hard copy CD's and that the downloads are only picking up because of mobile phones in Nigeria. He told me the awards they got together were countless. He also told me exclusively that he did not want to attend the 2011 BET awards last year and did not “feel like it.” He promised so many new videos coming. We talked about Director X, who films R.Kelly, Drake and Bieber’s videos.

I spoke about Cashzmere as well during our Producer/Director segment on how music videos have to compliment a track. I found myself educating him as well as learning a lot from him. Mavin records have something called Solar Plexus. It is a collaboration of all the artists of the label. They have Mavin League, a community formed by the label to connect with the fans. Mavin records have their stuff together, no doubt. He definitely agreed with me that social media has changed the world of music.

Were the BET awards fair? Yes he said it was. Don Jazzy watched KJ’s interviews online and studied my son. Kay Jeezy is working on some new songs. Don Jazzy is following him on twitter. Oh am I proud of my son? After my interview, I learned recently that he signed two new producers to Mavin Records. Aluko “Altims” Timothy and Sunday “BabyFresh” Enejere, are the latest additions that will “help their project”. “We older ones are not getting younger. It is a relief to have some young legs and minds to help our project. BabyFresh and Altims are fully activated and I promise there will be many new names for activation soon,” Don Jazzy said, as he welcomed them into the fold. The two producers are not new to the Mavin family, as they have already worked with two of the artistes on the label, Wande Coal and D’Prince.

I think this guy is so exceptional that I have named him HipHossip's International Music Personality of the decade. He is a damn good Producer, do not underestimate him and he will be the most sought after GLOBALLY in the next few years. His FB shares links of Talk of Naija blog which I have never asked him if he is also a blogger but I'm loving all his moves.

Don Jazzy is on Twitter
Don Jazzy on Facebook

Blog Archive