SEARCH THIS BLOG.

Subscribe to my World News Updates

Translate

MY MUSIC CELEBRITY PHOTO ALBUM

Friday, August 23, 2013

First lady of calm, Sasha P: Musicians provide therapy with music

Sasha P
THE line said “Hey put your head up don’t you cry, you can make it if you try shara giri omo ekun adara” The Yoruba translation is to pull yourself up like a lions kid and it will get better. Her name is Yetunde Alabi better known as Sasha P. When I arrived from North America a year ago, I purchased a Samsung phone which was loaded with her album. This was a 2007 album which I never knew as I was not familiar with her music but I definitely listened to this album 3 times daily but the track “Adara” became my favourite.

Sasha P is very captivating and all her songs are very inspiring. I learned she is a motivational speaker as well. I first saw Sasha on stage in Lagos May 2013, during the #DivasRockConcert. “Always Keep Moving” coupled with “Adara” reduces me to tears when I’m having a tough time in Nigeria. It has been a tough transition here as my father told me it will take 7 years while I estimated 5 years. Sporadic power outages introduces petrol into my garage for the generator and then mosquitoes introduce insecticide sprays banned in US and Canada. Spray that and start the gen and you have a lethal combination for my asthma which almost got deadly 4 months ago.

Living in Nigeria is very harzadous for my health here. As I complain daily, many dont even those amenities I have. One Saturday, I broke down frustrated losing blogging money with no power and the PHCN box fell of the wall on a Saturday! I became livid and emotional knowing that we were not going to have power till earliest Monday when they come and fix the problem.

I jumped in my bed, put on my MP3 player to use music to drown my frustrations when all of a sudden, I tweeted Sasha telling her that her music lifts me up when things get rough and could she call me pls? What star has time for that? In five minutes, she called me in Ibadan. She spoke to me 45 minutes and motivated me about how I felt. She also started praying for me. Excerpts of her Tweets before she called read: “You must strengthen your mind as it is a daily battle. It is well with u in Jesus name. Kemi, I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, but I know that the Lord will meet u at every point of need. Sis may the Lord comfort you the way only HE knows how and bring u solace thru this time, call me back if u need to talk.”

I was speechless and uplifted as her twitter direct message inboxed to me was one I had to share with my readers. What kindness! What caring I got from this musician who created calm around me that day. How I wish we could all call Keith Sweat, Bobby Valentino, Miguel and even Luther Vandross and Marvin Gaye who are in heaven or even our favourite rappers and actors. Remember what MTV UK said this week? Have you tried tweeting your fave musicians, they may just respond. I did last weekend and it changed my life together plus even getting a phone call and for that, I named Sasha the “First Lady of Calm.” Join Sasha P on twitter, she has some of the most inspiring tweets@SashaPOfficial and on Facebook.com/SashaPofficial to catch up with all her latest projects. Follow me on all Sasha P developments @HipHossip and @NigerianTribune.

View Original article

The full lenght interview Sasha P had with my colleague Rotimi Ige is also in today's Friday Treat section here. Read all about the upcoming album and the new Etisalat deal we are hearing about but cannot confirm.

#MsKemi
@HipHossip on twitter

Blog Archive