SEARCH THIS BLOG.

Subscribe to my World News Updates

Translate

MY MUSIC CELEBRITY PHOTO ALBUM

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

RACIST EVENT? OPRAH DENIED PURCHASE OF A BAG BY BOUTIQUE CLERK. NOW SHE IS SAYING SORRY?

Oprah Winfrey speaks during Harvard University's commencement ceremonies in Cambridge, Mass. (Elise Amendola/AP)
Oprah Winfrey (Elise Amendola/AP)
Oprah Winfrey says she’s “sorry” a media frenzy emerged after saying she experienced racism during a trip to Switzerland.

“I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I’m really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I’m sorry that I said it was Switzerland,” Winfrey said.

“I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don’t expect that you would be able to be there,” she continued. Below is the original story but I don't think she's the one to be saying SORRY! Racism is unacceptable.

The Associated Press reports that Talk show host Oprah Winfrey says she encountered racism while shopping in Switzerland — and the national tourism office agrees.

The media mogul, who is one of the world's richest women, told the U.S. program "Entertainment Tonight" that a shop assistant in Zurich refused to show her a handbag because it was "too expensive" for her.

Forbes magazine estimates that Winfrey earned $77 million in the year ending in June.

A spokeswoman for the Swiss tourism office, Daniela Baer, told The Associated Press on Friday "we are very sorry for what happened to her."

The tourism office also posted an apology on Twitter, saying "this person acted terribly wrong."

Winfrey was in town to attend last month's wedding of longtime pal Tina Turner, who lives in Switzerland.

I heard when you go black you never go back but I didn't know when you are black you couldn't buy just any BAG! Shit really happens in this world!

#MsKemi #KOO
@HipHossip Twitter

With files from the Globe and Mail

Blog Archive